You are one of almost 2,500 international students to have chosen Campus Le Havre Normandie for your studies. Welcome !
Campus Le Havre Normandie welcomes you and accompanies you in your new student life.

Your administrative procedures 

As soon as you arrive in France, you will need to go through several administrative procedures. Here is some useful information !

  • Are you a citizen from another European Union country ?
    • You do not need a visa or residence permit. Check the international admission procedure of your school or institution before you apply to find out which supporting documents are required. 
  • Are you a citizen from a country outside the European Union ?
    • Please visit the Campus France website to find out about the different types of visas and how to apply. You must then fill out the information form available on the France-Visas website and follow the online procedure.
  • Residence permit renewal

    • Since 1st June 2020, renewal applications and first-time applications from Algerian citizens and minor students must be made online.

  • If you are a citizen from another European Union country : 
    • Depending on the welfare system of your home country, you may need to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). With this card, all your healthcare expenses will be covered by the social security system of your home country during your stay in France.
  • If you are a citizen from a country outside the European Union  
    • You need to apply for social security in France by following the online procedure on the dedicated website.
    • You will be assigned a temporary social security number before your definitive number.
    • You then have to register on the AMELI website to apply for a Carte Vitale.
    • For further information, please visit, the website dedicated to international students (available in French, English, Spanish, standard Chinese, and Arabic).

The student social security scheme reform

16 mars 2018 - Direction de l’information légale et administrative (Premier Ministre)

The student social security scheme was revoked on 31st August 2019, in application of the law relating to student guidance and success. However, student health insurance companies are still allowed to provide complementary health insurances and organise public health prevention activities on campuses.

If you are a student from another European Union country, you need to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to have all your healthcare expenses covered by the social security scheme in force in your home country during your stay in France. 

However, depending on your situation, you may be required to follow other procedures.

We advise you to get in touch with your local authorities and with the French Health Insurance Office (CPAM) before your arrival for further information.


OFII : French Immigration and Integration Office
CPAM : Health Insurance Office
ACS : Complementary Health Insurance
CMU : Universal Health Insurance
CMUB : Standard Universal Health Insurance
CMUC : Complementary Universal Health Insurance

International student welcome

Several services dedicated to international students are available on the campus.


The Education & Student Life Department of the University of Le Havre Normandie is there to help students with their administrative procedures and applications throughout their studies and until they graduate..

The dedicated staff of the Education & Student Life Department is there to welcome international students and guide them through all kinds of administrative procedures : residence permit applications, accommodation, social assistance, etc. 

Studies staff
Phone : +33 (0)2 32 74 40 01 

Staff for students living questions
Phone number : +33 (0)2 32 74 40 14 

The International Welcome Office of the University of Le Havre Normandie is in charge of welcoming international students who have come to study in Le Havre as part of an exchange programme.

Most exchange students come from the European Union (ERASMUS), the United States (ISEP), or Quebec (BCI), but the University of Le Havre Normandie also has bilateral agreements with countries in Asia, Latin America, and Africa.

Each exchange student is welcomed by a student tutor, dedicated to help him/her settle in Le Havre and guide him/her through his/her administrative procedures (accommodation, insurance, banking, etc.)

Université Le Havre Normandie
25, rue Philippe Lebon - 76600 Le Havre
Phone : +33 (0)2 32 74 42 25

The International Welcome Office of the EM Normandie Business School is there to support international students throughout their stay in Le Havre.

Service international EM Normandie  
Phone : +33 (0)2 32 92 52 65 

Twice a month, The Sciences Po Welcome Programme invites Sciences Po Le Havre international students to meet local families to help them discover the French language and culture.

Sciences Po Welcome

The International Student Network of Le Havre (ISNLH) gathers students from all over the world around various events : language cafés, field trips, cultural tours, nights out, and many more ! 

International Student Network Le Havre